My Credo & Approach...
I believe our body is much wiser than we are; we must learn to hear it whisper before it starts to scream.
I believe that mind and body are one; a healthy body is host to a healthy mind.
I believe women really matter: women hold the family and the world in the palm of our hand and it’s a very heavy responsibility. Our roles as Queen, Mother, Wise Woman, Lover call on us to be deeply intuitive and intensely concerned with our young, our mate and our 'pack'.
I take a 'food-and-lifestyle-as-medicine' approach and it starts by putting a whole person at the centre of the complex and interconnected web that is a whole life. So although for me, food is our first and our best medicine, it's absolutely by no means our only medicine! Make no mistake, no amount of perfect-for-you, nutritious healing foods will mend a broken lifestyle and the impact of a toxic environment.
So I'll help you become much more aware of how a strong metabolism is the key to a healthy mind and body and how eating a metabolically supportive diet, restoring restful sleep, reducing stress, taking regular breaks in nature to moving your body and fostering inner and outer connectedness will create...
It must have started in childhood and it grew.
It grew into an expression of love and creativity. It became a mindful meditation; a respite from busyness and overwhelm. It was a place of peace where mind could absorb itself and just, be, present.
It grew into a passion. A calling to leave behind all that was familiar and step into the unknown and learn the magic of a time-honoured food alchemy and understand the gold of its powerful, healing medicine.
Slowly, a purpose emerged: to inspire, to teach, to help others seek out the gold.
A passion and a purpose to uncover traditional but forgotten food, health and lifestyle wisdoms, relinquished for speed and immediacy, but now re-discovered by emerging science.
Our witness to growing material prosperity, yet declining health, unhappiness, dis-connection and intolerance, is speaking loudly. It’s telling us we need to go back.....
My passion is real food and food-and-lifestyle-as-medicine. After more than 30 years in the health space as a qualified health professional, writer and speaker, I’m here to offer and use my skills and experience to create change in healthcare delivery and to contribute to doing medicine differently.
I'm here to inform, educate, inspire and support individuals to identify and prioritise their health goals, to co-create actionable plans and to make food and lifestyle choices for much better health.
A former health research psychologist in Public Health Medicine and NHS Programme Manager, I'm a qualified Nutrition and Lifestyle Health Expert and Coach, a Certified Digestive Health Practitioner and a Nutritional Chef.
I founded this health education website IzabellaNatrins.Com to promote better nutrition and holistic health and well-being. I am a Public Health Collaboration Ambassador, a Trustee of the British Holistic Medical Association and a co-founder and member of the Steering Group for the BHMA's Real Food Campaign UK. I'm also co-founder and a member of the Birmingham Functional Forum and Lifestyle Medicine Group to educate, advocate and agitate for food-and-lifestyle medicine.
Inspired by training at the renowned Ballymaloe Cookery School in Ireland, I became a nutritional chef after re-awakening to traditional farming, food production and preparation methods. I write, educate, inspire and teach people to regain traditional food wisdom, to engage with sound science and to learn the forgotten skills that restore energy, vitality and true health. I am the author of Once Upon a Cook – Food Wisdom, Better Living: Reclaim your kitchen, Take back your Health.
I work 1:1 and with groups in private practise and work with GP Federations and across Primary Care Networks in Birmingham to promote, advocate for and establish Building Resilience with Lifestyle Medicine programmes and resources for GPs, practice staff and local communities.
Education and career
- BSc (Hons. 2:1) Psychology, University of Warwick
- Research Psychologist, South Warwickshire Health Authority
- MRC Research Psychologist, Dept Public Health & Epidemiology, University of Birmingham Medical School
- Programme Manager, Clinicians’ Development, NHS Training Directorate
- PRINCE Project User Assurance - Information Management Group, Department of Health
- Co-Director, Management & Organisational Development, Central Consultancy Ltd, Birmingham
- Trained Chef (Ballymaloe Cookery School, Cork)
- Certified GAPS Practitioner (Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride)
- Founder, Once Upon a Cook, Food Wisdom, Better Living
- Founder, Izabella Natrins - Food | Health | Lifestyle
- Nutrition & Lifestyle Health Coach (Institute of Health Sciences, Dublin)
- Author: Once Upon a Cook – Food Wisdom, Better Living: Reclaim your kitchen, Take back your Health.
- Consultant: Lifestyle Medicine in Action, Birmingham SmartCare GP Federation
- Trustee, British Holistic Medical Association
- Founder Member & Steering Group Member, Real Food Campaign UK
- Ambassador, Public Health Collaboration UK
- Co-Founder, Birmingham Functional Forum and Lifestyle Medicine Group
Memberships & affiliations
- UK Health Coaches Association
- Federation of Nutritional Therapy Practitioners
- British Holistic Medical Association
- College of Medicine and Integrated Health
- British Society of Lifestyle Medicine
Attended an excellent workshop on Saturday about 'Fermenting Foods & Health.' Thank you Isabel, we had a wonderful smoothie this morning, and I have 'burped' my jars and ordered the raw honey! Even better, Trevor thinks the kefir tastes "Ok"...!